Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lorac Secrets of Hollywood Starlet Review

Last month I purchased this set from Ulta for $42. I hadn't ever used any Lorac products but I was intrigued since Lorac sets all come with full-size products.

It comes with the following:

  • Starry-eyed Baked Eye Shadow Trio in Starlet (purple) -- My favorite of the set.

  • Baked Matte Satin Blush (plum rose) --Second Favorite

  • Lotsa Lash Fiber mascara (black)

  • Couture Shine Liquid Lipstick (glam)

  • Dual-ended Eye Shadow/Liner Brush

  • Purple Croc Clutch


(I apologize for the weird photo layout, but Blogger is rotating the picture!!)

I love that:

  • Every color in the eyeshadow trio is gorgeous. All of the colors are shimmery and well-pigmented, but not glittery. The white is perfect for all over and highlight up to the brow. The brownish color is great for the lid and the deep purplish color is awesome for the crease. The darker colors look a lot more purple in the package and more brownish-purple when worn.

  • The lightest color is my absolute favorite, which I use over my Stila smudge pot in Kitten or my Bobbi Brown cream eye shadows in Galaxy, Sand Dollar and Beach Honey. (I am sure I will post pictures of these looks later). 

  • I also use the purple deep color for liner on my lower lash line or to set the gel eyeliner I use on my top lid. I have found that the little brush that comes with the set works quite well for lining purposes, but doesn't do a good job as a shadow brush. 

  • The blush is SUPER pigmented. You really need to be careful when applying this color to your cheeks so as to avoid looking like a clown. I find that it gives the perfect flush to my face, even when I have no bronzer on and have no tan whatsoever (which is impressive because I find that really pigmented blushes can be too harsh for fair-skinned people). It is a rosier color than my normal Nars Orgasm blush, and more matte.

  • The mascara really volumizes my lashes, which I feel is due to the super fat brush. However I find that the lengthening and curl power is somewhat average. I usually use this to layer over other mascaras when I want more volume. I haven't had any issues with flaking or smudges, which is good.
I don't love:

  • I could really go without the lip product. The color is flattering enough but the formula is too sticky and doesn't really last long.

  • I love the shadows, but I do find that my oily lids definitely need a shadow primer to prevent creasing.
The verdict:
I would definitely recommend puchasing this set. I think the colors would flatter most skin colors and it's a great value. Did I mention that the purple croc clutch is really cute?



Close-up of the Trio (shimmery and blendable)



Note: The color on my middle finger (second from the left) is Lorac's Serenity, which Lollipop26 recommended. I will post the color on a separate entry. It's more of a gold color. I tend to prefer the trio colors, since I believe the gold is not the best for my pale and freckle-covered face.



No comments:

Post a Comment